On February 18 this year, in Kiev, at the DTEK Academy, the 2nd forum of leaders of industrial automated control systems – developers, integrators and customers was held under the aegis of APPAU – Association of Enterprises of Industrial Automation of Ukraine. As recognized by many participants of this event, it was a powerful impetus for further development of industrial control systems in Ukraine. It was the real shifting into the second speed!
The main topics of the Forum were as follows:
- Definition of the portrait of the ideal participant in the market of industrial automated control systems – a developer, an integrator, a customer.
- Quality standards for automated control systems and their implementation in Ukraine.
- Problems of speeding up introduction of innovations into the field of ACS in Ukraine.
Discussions at the Forum were hot and fruitful. Speeches were made by both the customers of industrial automated control systems, such as the head of the ACS Department of “Arcelor Mittal Kryvyi Rih” Maksym Romanov and the chief engineer of the “Roshen” dairy plant Maksym Tyutyunnik, and the developers – Oleg Mikhailov, Anton Krotyuk, Sergei Puzyrko and others.
Following the results of the Forum, several main conclusions were drawn:
- There is a rise in negative trends in the market – increased corruption, unprecedented price pressure, “bending” integrators to make free of charge projects for tenders.
- At the same time, all the participants of the Forum noted that the “vendor-integrator-customer” bundle potential was far from exhausted. In particular, customers voiced problems for which there are no satisfactory solutions. It is worth mentioning in this connection that according to the customer survey carried out by APPAU, many of them believe that inability to show the economic effectiveness of ACS solutions is the main drawback of all offers of ACS products suppliers in the Ukrainian market.
- Customers in their reports stated that the level of requirements to ACS developers is radically different from the nineties. Now, customers do not want to go into details and write TDA together with them. Instead, they require a real expertise of their enterprises regarding the ACS and real solutions for specific problems. It is inability of national developers and integrators to provide this that forces customers to turn to Western engineering companies.
- In connection with these problems, a crisis of confidence was established in the bundle “vendor-integrator-customer”. In relation with this, APPAU began conducting consultations with vendors for their joining in order to strengthen the export direction – since the national customer does not trust us, we will offer our services to foreign companies. And this should serve as an alarm signal for large customers, such as Metinvest, which was named as the “worst customer by the growth rate of negative trends.”
- The cost of “ACS implementation in enterprises” is no longer a problem, provided the solution is technically and economically efficient (the payback period of the implementation of the automated control system is up to 2 years).
- The world quality standards are already in the focus of development of the Ukrainian market of automated control systems. But, at the same time, we are only at the very beginning of our way. We are glad that the participants of the national ACS market clearly understand where to move. In this regard, the signing of a cooperation agreement between APAPAU and UkrNDNC (the national standardization body) is a logical step. Its goal is to speed up harmonization of ISO / IEC standards in the field of automation with national standards.
And in conclusion. according to the majority of the Forum participants’ words, it was wonderful. “The whole day flew by like one minute” – these words of one of the participants of the Forum are a capacious and accurate description of it.